'Tis Winter

It only seems like yesterday that we were crying out for rain to nourish and water our parched earth. Now we have rain and it seems like it has rained for weeks! 
When I planted out the majority of my new plants over the last month or so, I was blessed with the rain coming. I have not had to water my plants in once, the rain has taken care of that. 
Mother nature does a way better job than I could ever do with the hose and for that I am truely thankful. 

A little bit about where I live in Coromandel.
 it is 5m above sea level
-  has a warm and temperate climate with significant rainfall -  1850 mm | 72.8 inch per year, with rain even during the driest months (usually lol) 
- has an average annual temperature of 15.2 °C | 59.4 °F. 
We have a pretty awesome climate here and the food forest should do really well. 

Last week we had our first frost.  Well, we call it a frost, but pretty light compared to most other places south of here. This wee sprinkling of Jack Frost hasn't seemed to damage any of my young plants, and of course my berries and currants will love the cooler temperatures. My avocado tree is only young, and luckily I covered it with some garden mesh I had in the shed and that seems to have done the trick. 

Because I am developing the food forest on our small urban section -  I can look out at the new area from many windows and doors inside our house and I long to see green. 
At the moment it is just predominantly bare branches and sticks poking up out of the ground. I want to look out and see a beautiful lush, green, tropical paradise.  
With these thoughts of wanting more - I went out this morning and started to actually look at what was before me.
I saw buds on some fruit trees swelling and starting to show life - a few wee leaves erupting on my currant bushes, vege plants growing - how did I not see all this?? 

I have been looking but not seeing!
I was determined to get outside, so I took some photos during a drizzly, cold  and bleak day. 




Beautiful Calendula Flowers

My Prolific Parsley

Plum tree buds bursting into life

Alpine Strawberries

Roman Chamomile

Rhubarb

Vietnamese Mint 

Nasturtium

Russian Kale

Asparagus, Lettuce, Spring Onions, Broadbeans

Celery, Beetroot, Chillis

Broccoli, Russian Kale, Beetroot, Garlic

Garlic, Carrots ( the rest of the carrots were dug up by blackbirds!! )

Dwarf Comfrey

Thyme - just coming into flower


Currant leaves emerging



I know I am impatient! I love to daydream about how my plants will look a few years on - mature, producing, feeding us and the birds and bees who choose to visit. 
Gardening is all about watching and learning. It is about gaining knowledge from many sources and to sift out what you want and put it to practice.

I have been in contact with a couple of like minded permaculture people and it is so awesome to be able to discuss what you are doing, and listen to things that have worked for them and not worked.

Life and gardening are about making mistakes - to learn from them, and devise ways to create a solution out of a problem.

I wonder what my next solution will be???




No comments:

Post a Comment

My Compost Makers

I am thinking of putting my 4 chooks onto my payroll. I feel they need to be reimbursed for all the hard work they do for me everyday!! They...