My Pink Composting Toilet

I have a pink toilet.
Some of my adult children think it is disgusting.
My grandchildren love it and can't wait to 'use' it when they come to Nanny's.



It isn't the 'normal' toilet. 
It doesn't waste water -it doesn't flush - it has a bucket inside instead of water.
It doesn't smell.
It will make humanure and feed the soil.
It's another win win that sadly today people have chosen to forget about.

Why do people find the thought of returning our waste to the land so vile?
What does it matter if you are poohing into soil instead of water? At least with soil you don't get splashed!
I think we are tarred with a smelly memory of long drops ( or short drops) in our past when you didn't cover what you did, you just sat and added more. I can still remember that stench and would never want to repeat that again!
Honestly - if you cover the layers there is NO smell. 


Ready to use.

Seat up

Lid on for a discreet emptying


I purchased this beauty off trademe for only about $69.
I initially got it as an emergency 2nd toilet as we only have one bathroom - but once used, I realised how valuable and easy it was. And the water it saves .....
I sprinkle a layer of soil or woodchips in the bottom ( or sawdust if you have access to it) and after each use cover completely with another layer of soil so nothing is showing. The complete covering of each layer prevents any smells. 
I keep a container of soil or woodchips in the corner for ease of covering each time I have used the toilet. Once again - this doesn't smell and it is not in the way. 


The bucket capacity of this particular toilet is not big - so perfect for one person. For a family situation it would be really easy to make a permanent composting toilet.  Search on youtube - there is a wealth of knowledge and ideas on making and designing them.
The secret to a no smell system is to completely cover each layer.
When the bucket is full it will need to be put out into a composting pile or receptacle outside for another 6 - 12 months.  Once outside, just add normal green and brown layers as you would a normal compost heap.  When composted it will produce the most rich beautiful humanure ready to spread on your garden.

I am proud of my pink toilet. 
I don't care what reaction I get from others. 
I think of the benefits of it.
I think of the water I am saving.
I think of all the water we would save and the amazing soils we would create if more people had, and used one of these.

Would you like to have one?








6 comments:

  1. Good on you! I'm excited about getting my one in the new tiny house I'm moving into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is great you are getting one!! You will never look back :) Thank you for commenting on my blog. Follow via email if you want to get notifications when I have put a new blog up. :)

      Delete
  2. Yes. I would love one. We only have a small water tank and run out up to 4 times over summer with 8 of us. We don't flush number ones but it is always getting blocked. Good on you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give this a go. You could make a wooden frame with a toilet seat in the middle and have a large bucket underneath. Even if it was only used for #2's - a flush toilet will use approx 4 litres per full flush, so a bit of maths you realise how much water that would save in a week - a month - a year. It is scary what we flush away water wise!!!! Good luck with this - and remember, where there is a problem, find a solution :)

      Delete
  3. Good on you! It's a change in thinking that will lead to lots of savings for you. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment Meg. Yes, totally agree with you. :)

    ReplyDelete

My Compost Makers

I am thinking of putting my 4 chooks onto my payroll. I feel they need to be reimbursed for all the hard work they do for me everyday!! They...